Friday, January 18, 2008

Coming Home

If you are shocked by the subject of this e-mail, then you are just beginning to feel the rollercoaster of emotions that I have had over the past week. Due to the civil unrest continuing in Kenya, Peace Corps has decided to send us home. The original idea of finding new sites in Kenya is not looking very hopeful as the violence is not calming down. The travel situation in Kenya is limited and they can not confirm new sites for the 60 volunteers in Western, Rift Valley, and Nyanza provinces in a timely manner. They do not want to hold us in limbo any longer as they try and figure out what to do next with us. There are road blocks in the streets, food shortages in the western parts of Kenya, and we heard yesterday that people are still dying. The situation in Kenya is extremely upsetting. When I left my house for Christmas vacation in Kakamega, I never thought that I would never be going back. I don't even have pictures of my small village or of my house, so I am returning with just my memories. I also don't have the majority of my stuff, and this has all been a real lesson about not holding on to materialistic things. I just finished making an inventory of the stuff that I want sent to me from my house. I am allowed just 100 pounds of stuff that will be shipped to me once they are able to send a driver out to my site. Most of the PC drivers are Kikuyu tribe so they will not be able to get to my site easily having to drive through Luo land. So, I have no idea when I will see most of my stuff again. I am learning to let that go and am just going to start fresh.
They are sending us home with the possibility of later having sites in Kenya open up. They are concerned that they still won't be able to offer everyone a site considering that they are only going to be using about half of Kenya to place volunteers and they may be considerably shrinking the PC Kenya numbers. I also think they are worried about how long this political situation will continue as no resolution has been made yet between the 2 political parties.
I have such a mix of emotions, but I do know myself and know that I can't sit and wait around for an indefinite amount of time. Even if they do come back and offer me a site it may be months (I know at least 1-2 months) or I may wait around to find out that they don't have a site for me because they are reducing the volunteer count. So, I have decided that I am going to just pick up and move on with my life. Now, if I get home and find myself really desperate to get back to Africa, then I will look into other options but as of now I am planning to just take it as it comes.
The plan as of now is: I am hoping to move to DC and find a job there. I really love DC and hear there are lots of entry-level jobs there. I am hoping to crash on a friends floor until I find a reasonably priced place that I could afford. If you happen to have any suggestions or connections in the DC/Virginia area, I am definitely interested so let me know!
Also, I do not have any phone numbers as my American cell phone is in my house in Kenya, so if you can e-mail me your digits that would be great!
I will be on a plane heading back to Florida on Sunday night, so feel free to give me a call later this weekend or next week. I am excited to be back and see friends and family, but am also really sad that this ended so quickly. I am nervous about my next step but know life is an adventure. I am also anxious about returning to America because I had just become so used to the Kenyan culture here. It's going to be a tough adjustment, but this is part of the adventure.
I look forward to getting in touch with you all once I return and hope that you all are well. Let me know if you have any helpful suggestions or advice in the DC area (actually, really anywhere), because I will take anything I can get.
Thanks to you all for your continued support, e-mails, packages, etc over the past 4 months. Hope to hear from you soon.
Take care,
Diana

3 comments:

ksev said...

Hey Diana,
My name is Kristy, and I am a Peace Corps Volunteer in eastern Uganda. I have been reading your blogs lately after all the election stuff, and I just wanted to basically say hi and that I'm sorry about everything that's going on and how it has effected you. Being so close, even though I'm not there, I feel like I've been a part of all the crazyness. I am from VA, and even though you don't know me...if there is any advice you need for moving to DC, I have some friends there, etc. My blog is www.ksev.blogspot.com... and I think my email is on there. If you would like to email, feel free.
Otherwise, Take care,
Kristy :)

Pessimistic Idealist said...

I have also been following your blog somewhat regularly as a nominee hoping to volunteer in Kenya. I hope that PC continues to serve the other areas of the country and that rest finds the countryside I'm sure you came to love. I am very disappointed for you and hope that perhaps one day you'll consider serving again. Keep posting - let your fans know how you're doing state side. Welcome home.
Natalie

Jabatsu said...

I just heard your interview on NPR and went searching hoping I'd find a blog from you.
I'm a Kikuyu living in Kansas City and after hearing that interview, I just wanted to tell you that what you did in Kenya will never be lost. Those girls you taught will remember you forever. The impact you had on them is so great that they will treasure it for life.

I had a teacher like you when I was in high school in Kiambu back in the eighties, and I never stopped believing what that teacher taught me.

You've done something that not many people will ever be able to. You have touched young people's lives in a way that will last with them. I hope it has changed your life too. As you said, when all is well, I hope you go back and finish what you started. Thank you so much for contributing to the betterness of my country