Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Welcome to Kenya!!!!




Hamjambo! I think I will begin this e-mail to give a fair warning that the backspace key does not work, so bear with me. I arrived to Kitui town on Sunday afternnoon after a 3 hour matatu ride... what an adventure to have MTV and BET on a TV in the matatu while driving in the middle of nowhere. Kitui is in the middle of nowhere about 80 miles East of Nairbobi,. It is a dusty little town, and I am actually living about an hour walk from town. This is my first time coming to town and having internet access! What a frelief to be able to hear from friends and family finall.y. I did receive some mail today and that was comoforting to hear from America! So far things have been good. I am adjustning to my homestay family, which I really do enjoy. I haven't had to help with the chores yet, but Mama Florence has informed me that that will start inext week. On Saturday she is going to teaceh me how to handwash my clothing, and I will have to sweep out and mop my room . We have had 2 days of training which included both language training and technical training where we learned about the Kenyan education stystem. Yesterday we also learned some basic life skills like how to light a juko (a charcoal stove), light a taa(lantern), mop the floor with a rag, and how to make chai tea. Chai tea is huge and is offered all the time. It is madee with mostly milk, chai leaves, and sugar.
I am adjustinmgs to using the choo (literally a pit latrine) that you have to squat over and taking bucket baths. It is quite different taking a torch (flashlight) with you outside to use the choo at night. My mama prepares a bucket bath for me every morning, which is a nice refreshing way to start the day. She then hands me a blue-band sandwich and chai tea for breakfast/ . A blue band sandwich is just butter in between 2 bpieces of bread. Blue-band is the brand of butter that tehey use here in Kenya. Yesterday we went to a samall town for lunch and I paid 30 shillings for lunch... that is about 50 cents for beans and chapati. Chapati would be somewhat similar to a totrtialla.
Okay, well I am running out of time and because it is 5:30 here and I need to catch a matatu home before it kgets dark. Because we are located near the qequator, the sun rises at 6 amnd sets at 6:30.
I would love to hear from you all soon - I should be able to come back to town sometime tomorrow to check back in. I hope this finds you all doing well too!
I miss you all and take care!
Kwaheri!
Diana
I apologize for how poorly written this e-amail was... I didn't have much time! Unfortunately there is inonly 2 pleaces in wtown with internet and lots of PC trainees who want to use it.

No comments: